Serves 4-6 people | 1 Hour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 150 gm diced pancetta (or three strips of bacon diced)
- 1 tbsp paprika (preferably smoked, but any paprika will do)
- 2 shallots diced (can substitute for one small onion)
- 1 garlic clove diced
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 chorizo sausages
- 1 ham hock (can be substituted for 1 marrow bone or 1 bone in smoked pork chop)
- 540 gm canned red kidney beans
- 1 bunch kale
- 1800 ml unsalted chicken stock (can top up with water as needed)
- 3 medium waxy potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- In a large heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven bring 1 tsp olive oil to medium high heat. Add 150 gm diced pancetta and cook until crispy. This should take 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of paprika, 1 diced garlic clove, 2 diced shallots, 1 tsp of freshly ground pepper and stir.
- Cut open 2 chorizo sausages and remove casing. Crumble filling into the pot. Mix. Continue to cook for 3 or 4 minutes or until sausage starts to cook.
- Add 1 ham hock, 1 can of drained kidney beans.
- Tear all the kale off the stem into small rustic pieces and add to pot. Stir and let cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add 1800 ml of unsalted chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add 3 peeled and diced waxy potatoes and continue to simmer until potatoes cook. Taste for desired seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- The longer the soup simmers the more the flavors will develop.
- Remove ham hock, shred meat back into soup and enjoy!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chilled or frozen butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Extra butter milk for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine 2 ½ cups all purpose flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 2 tsp sugar, and ½ tsp of salt.
- Grate 1 cup butter into mixture and mix together.
- Pour 1 cup buttermilk into mixture and mix until forms a dough.
- Flour a clean surface and place dough on surface.
- Roll until it is 1 inch thick, fold onto itself and roll until it is 1 inch again.
- Use biscuit cutter or cup to cut biscuits by pressing straight down. Do not twist as it may prevent biscuits from rising.
- Place biscuits on baking sheet and brush with excess buttermilk.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until risen and golden on top. Check frequently without opening oven door.
- Remove from oven, smother with butter, and enjoy!
NV Cava or Champagne
Grenache and Zinfandel.
Copyright © 2022 by Seasoned Plate | Chef Stephen Barrett