RECIPE: Risotto and Seared Scallops
Posted by Stephen Barrett on
Serves 2 people | Prep time 15 mins | Cook time 30 mins
- 6 Large Sea Scallops (3 per person) – This can be substituted with another protein of your choice
- 3 Strips of Bacon
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock (1 liter)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 Shallot Diced
- 1 Green Onion Sliced
- 1 Clove Garlic Diced
- 3/4 Cup Arborio Rice – It must be this style of rice
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 5 Asparagus Springs
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Grated (other hard cheeses will also work)
- 1 Lemon or Lime
- 1 Bunch Fresh Parsley Chopped
- Salt and Pepper (preferably sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper coarsely ground)
- Remove Scallops from fridge 1 hour prior to cooking. Place on paper towel and salt lightly
- Heat 4 cups of Stock in saucepan on medium heat – turn down if stock starts to simmer. We just want to keep the stock warm
- Place 3 strips of Bacon in skillet and cook on medium heat until crispy – turn occasionally. Once done, remove from pan and set aside. Crumble once cooled.
- Heat 1 tsp Olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter in medium saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Dice 1 Shallot, slice 1 Green Onion, and dice 1 clove of Garlic. Add to pan with salt and pepper. Cook until tender and fragrant
- Add 3/4 Cup of Arborio Rice and stir until rice is coated and toasted – approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 Cup of White Wine and stir until absorbed into the rice.
- Add 1/4 Cup of warm stock to the rice and stir. You will continue to add broth to rice in 1/4 cup increments until rice is creamy and tender. This will take upto 20 minutes. Only add more broth when previous addition is absorbed. You may need more or less liquid depending on your rice and you can always add water if you need more.
- Slice Asparagus into 1 inch pieces on an angle.
- Stir remaining Butter, Grated Parmesan, Lemon or Lime Juice plus zest, and Asparagus.
- If rice is too thick, you can loosen with a little water or stock.
- Heat medium skillet to medium high and add 1 tsp of Olive oil and 1 tsp butter.
- Season Scallops with Salt and Pepper and add to skillet.
- Sear on one side for 2 minutes, or until brown and flip. Repeat for other side.
- Remove scallops from pan, plate risotto, put scallops, crumbled bacon, and parsley over risotto.
Copyright © 2021 by Seasoned Plate | Chef Stephen Barrett