RECIPE: Fancy French Toast
Posted by Stephen Barrett on
Serving 4 | Prep time 10 mins | Total time 30 mins
- 1 cup of jam of your choice
- 1 cup of cream cheese – softened by removing from fridge 30 mins prior to use
- 8 slices of ½ inch cut bread – French, sourdough, or potato bread are good choices
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp maple syrup + 1 cup to serve
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mix 1 cup of jam and 1 cup of cream cheese together in a bowl until well combined and set aside.
- Cut bread into eight ½ inch slices
- In a large mason jar combine 1 cup of whole milk, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp maple syrup, 1 pinch salt, 4 large eggs, 1 dash vanilla extract, and ½ tsp ground cinnamon. Shake until combined. This can also be whisked in a bowl if you don’t have a jar.
- Heat frying pan to medium high and add 1 tbsp butter and ½ tbsp vegetable oil and heat until butter melts and starts to bubble.
- Pour mixture into high brimmed plate or pie dish. Put each slice of bread into mixture and let soak for 15 seconds. Flip and repeat until both sides are covered with egg mixture. Use a fork to flip and transfer wet bread.
- When bread is soaked, transfer to hot pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. If bread is burning, turn down heat and flip. You can continue to cook and flip until golden brown on both sides. Once cooked, remove from pan, and set aside on a plate to rest.
- Repeat this for all remaining bread slices using the remaining butter and vegetable oil as needed.
- Once all bread has been cooked take two slices at a time and fill with ½ cup of the jam cream cheese mixture to create French toast sandwiches. The amount of filler per sandwich can vary depending on taste.
- Slice French toast sandwiches on the diagonal and place on plate. Top with 1 tsp of sprinkled icing sugar, ¼ cup of sliced strawberries, and drizzle with ¼ cup maple syrup per plate.
- Serve and enjoy!
Copyright © 2022 by Seasoned Plate | Chef Stephen Barrett